Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thought I had 10

Well yesterday I thought I would take a few minutes to clean the dining room chair that the 4 year old uses (soon to be 5!!).  It had turned a darker shade of dirty.  I have spot treated it all summer and after she vomited all over the chair on Sunday night, I knew that a scrub brush and some soap wouldn't cut it anymore.  So, in my overzealous state, I decided to remove the seat of the chair so that I could take off the piece of fabric to wash it in the machine.  After I took off the seat, I removed the first set of staples that hold the fabric in place only to reveal to me a second set of staples underneath that REALLY hold the fabric in place - all 456 of them.  After prying away at them with pliers and a flat head screwdriver, I stared at the mound of metal before me and realized that a regular staple gun was not going to work when it came to putting this mess back together again. I always seem to do this to myself, I have a brilliant idea, jump into it with two feet and then realize that this is going to take me a lot more time that I thought and probably require me to buy some tool or another.  But persevere I do!
First, I had to run upstairs and send off an email to my best bud's husband who has a hardware store in his workshop - and pleaded with him to lend me a staple gun.  Then, I washed  the fabric in the machine and got it back to somewhat resembling its original color, then I laid it flat to dry as I looked over the foam that they put in chairs in between the wood to make it soft.  I realized that my daughter had bounced on it one too many times and now the foam was no longer spongy - more like a flat sponge - the poor excuse for a sponge that the other sponges laugh at, so, to make even more work, I have to buy new foam, cut it out and redo the chair seat.  While I am at it, I will also- oh so cleverly - buy a piece of thick plastic that some people use to cover all of their  furniture with (bet they don't have THIS problem - the vomit will just slide right off!!) and velcro it with 2 sided velcro tape to the seat cover! If only I would have thought of this 3 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment